Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Dyke.. and other such nonsense

One of my coworkers is also a lesbian. Well, she's with a girl and they're getting married in May.. but she says if it doesn't work out she'll go back to guys. So I guess that makes her bi? Anyway .. she's taking some classes at a community college and she encountered this male student who is very religious and very homophobic. She came out to the class when they were talking about GLBT issues, and he basically told her she was going to hell. Then, later, he was going to say something and started the conversation with, "I don't mean to offend the dyke but.." Excuse me?! The kicker is that professor did absolutely NOTHING. Either did my coworker, to be fair. It's that kind of stuff that just pisses me right off. Unless you ARE a dyke, you better not be calling me one.. seriously. Let alone refer to someone as "the dyke". Wow, incredible. Anyways.. I think it's funny when my gay-friendly friends call me a dyke. Whatever.. life is silly. But that's not really acceptable.

I've never been close to extended family members. Sometimes that makes me sad. I don't know any of my cousins very well or anything like that.. My mom raised us very separate from all of that. The only family members I'm close to are my grandma (mom's mom) and aunt (mom's sister). I visit my biological father's family sometimes and I'm friends with some of them on facebook. They know I'm gay.. but I don't talk to them enough for them to have gotten that information from me. My aunt was at a bar the other night when she ran into my uncle (biological father's brother) and his wife. I guess they started talking about me. The whole.. "is it true.. I can't believe it" .. "what do you think? What does her mom think??" ... and on and on. I just wish this wasn't such a big freakin' deal. Who cares who I sleep with? For real. Not sure of how many straight people out there had to sit their parents down as a teenager and say... "okay, mom.. dad.., *deep breath* I'm straight". Come on now. [I actually know of one straight person that had to do this but that's a whole 'nother blog]. Mostly, I just wish they would ask me about it if they want to know. I'd be more than happy to talk about it. I'm proud of my girlfriend. I fully intend to show her off at my brother's wedding this summer.. and I hope they all come to see it :D

Anyway.. thanks for reading :D


We'll always laugh this hard <3

5 comments:

  1. The bit about straight people having to sit their parents down actually made me laugh out loud! Haha!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think we should have formal coming out parties every time we have to declare ourselves to people. If you tell someone you're gay, they have to give you a party. Sounds about right to me.

    And that thing with the asshole calling your friend "the dyke"...well, that's so wrong. Tells me how insensitive and stupid that kid is too. Going to hell....HA!...I would have told him that you don't have to be gay to go to hell either.

    Party time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I feel the same way with my family, I came out (officially) to the ones I am super close to and got sick of doing it (seriously!) so the rest just kind of find out. Does that make me a bad person? I dont think so, I just hate that it would have to be a huge conversation with every single one of my family members. Yeesh!
    Oh and I have been in the first situation a few times during my undergrad. The first time I just sat in my chair and stewed (like a wuss) and the next few times I spoke up. Gotta say, it feels much better to speak up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoyed your post. (Found your blog from Edge of the Ocean)

    Your co-worker who's getting married? She might be bi, and that's no big deal, but what a way to enter a marriage..."if it doesn't work out I'll go back to men." Not a good sign.

    I came out to extended family who is very Christian and small-minded, and I came out via letters through the post. The ones who were fine with it wrote me sweet loving notes, the others, well, not so much. At least they just ignored me.

    Anyway...MUCH happier to be the way we ARE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only bothered coming out to my immediate family. I don't see my extended family enough to care, but I'm sure they all know by now considering I'm 27 and a bit too old for bringing "just friends" to the family reunion.

    Facebook makes things interesting with family too though. I just recently realized that my stepmom's siser (step-aunt, I guess) unfriended me on facebook because I post links to my lesbian blog *GASP* Oh well.

    ReplyDelete